Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Goslings - Occasion

The Goslings
Occasion
(03.2008, Not Not Fun)
Verdict = Deafening Oblivion via Headphones

It is difficult to determine whether Heaven or Hell is responsible for The Goslings most recent release on Not Not Fun, but to whomever is responsible, thank you. Occasion, the proper and eagerly anticipated follow up to The Goslings 2006 masterpiece, Grandeur of Hair, is simply devastating. I probably have said that about The Goslings before, but the Florida husband and wife duo has done it once again. I think it is pretty fair to say that with Occasion The Goslings are prepared to sink islands and flatten mountains. The album plays out like the audible equivalent to a steamroller the size of The Empire State Building rolling through the middle of Manhattan. It’s a terribly amazing thing to put to tape, but for those of you who are familiar with The Goslings druggy, lethargic doom metal/pop this is no surprise. This has always been The Goslings modus operandi since day one. It all comes down to the old adage: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. With Occasion this couldn’t be more true; still firing down the same lines as they have in the past yet still scoring wildly with the most excruciatingly delicious, terribly awesome onslaught likely to have ever laid claim on rock and roll. Ha, just now sitting at my desk at my day job someone whose desk is about thirty feet away came over and told me they could hear my headphones…and the volume on my iPod is only 2/3rds the way up. Mmm, it is just so so good. My already insufficient writing ability is truly at a loss for words here. Unless The Goslings make ten more albums in 2008, it will be practically impossible that this won’t land on my top ten list at the end of the year.

-Mr. Thistle

The Goslings Myspace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I blasted this album with the windows down as I drove through town today. I felt really tough.