Friday, January 30, 2009

Bon Iver - Blood Bank

Bon Iver
Blood Bank EP
(01.2009, Jagjaguwar)
Verdict: An extension of For Emma

I can't think of many more beloved of 2008 than Justin Vernon, aka Bon Iver. For Emma Forever Ago left half of indiedom smitten and swooning, myself and Thistle included. It has been a while since his intial self-release-turned-label-released victory, and Thistle has since declared himself "over" Bon Iver, bored of his voice and drawling melodies. I, however have not turned my back, but I have lost a lot of the initial warm fuzzies. I still think For Emma is an incredible album, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I want to listen to it forever. I personally think artists should morph and grow from release to release, cause no one wants to listen to the same album over and over again. Blood Bank feels like sad extension to the heartbreak that was For Emma. Justin, you can't still be that heartbroken can you? I am being a little harsh considering it is only a four track EP, and I will admit it gave me quite a few enjoyable listens, but I am already ready to move on. That really isn't surprising considering Blood Bank's length, I'm just saying, don't get too excited all you Vernon worshippers. You will enjoy it, but it isn't as promising a release as you would hope it to be, and definitely just an EP.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I listened to these 4 tracks... eh... not bad, but no Grammy.