Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hammock - Maybe They Will Sing For Us Tomorrow

Hammock
Maybe They Will Sing for Us Tomorrow
(05.2008, Darla Records)
File Under = Ambient quilting (see review for details)

Hammock. Looks like they’ve been around for a few records now, but Maybe They Will Sing for Us Tomorrow is the first time I’ve heard the band and I must admit that I am a better person for it. I’ve become more patient, even-tempered and beautiful (in a general sense). I guess that is just Hammock’s strong points rubbing off on me though. The band consists of Marc Byrd and Andrew Thompson and if I didn’t know better I could have sworn these were the guys from Stars of the Lid. I don’t intend to mow Hammock, but seriously, this follows SotL’s recipe step by step. Fortunately, the recipe is a good one and Hammock has followed it properly because Maybe They Will Sing for Us Tomorrow is utterly gorgeous. Full of glowing guitars and stoic strings, each track has a wonderful sense of calm. Like the most vibrant dreams, Hammock has created a vibrant patchwork of emotions that transport you beyond the present and into some alternate heavenly reality. MTWSFUT is just too easy too fall in love with. It is all soft edges and inviting tones. This is music that heals wounds, grows plants and calms seas. Hammock is working in ambience the same way your grandma works on quilts: with love embedded in each thread. I’m definitely going to have to run through these guys’ back catalog because this release is magnificence incarnate. Oh, and about the SotL reference – scratch that. Hammock now owns this sound and SotL will need to produce something pretty astounding to win it back.

-Mr. Thistle

Hammock's Website

2 comments:

Justin Snow said...

I'm a big Hammock fan. I'm especially fond of Raising Your Voice... if you're thinking about checking their past stuff. I haven't heard this one yet but it sounds like they don't disappoint.

Daniel Smith said...

"City in the Dust in my Window" takes me on a dreamy journey. Hammock is just brilliant!