Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I Heart Lung - Interoceans

I Heart Lung
Interoceans
(09.2008, Asthmatic Kitty)
Verdict = I heart Interoceans

I discovered I Heart Lung after hearing guitarist Chris Schlarb’s amazing solo debut, Twilight & Ghost Stories. The beauty of that release promised that anything Schlarb was involved with would definitely be a noteworthy endeavor. Interoceans proves that assumption correct. I Heart Lung is an improvisational duo consisting of Schlarb and drummer Tom Steck. Together as team I Heart Lung, the two create expansive, textured, improv based compositions that are a little bit jazzy and a little bit proggy and a lot bit immersive and beautiful. Everything on Interoceans feels like it has been stretched and laid over a cool droney undercurrent. In four long tracks, I Heart Lung achieve everything you might imagine from an album with “oceans” in its title. There are serene, expansive moments, cluttered wavy moments and deep ominous moments that flow throughout the album. I hate to throw in the organic tag, but there is something distinctly organic about the feel of this record which is dissimilar to anything else I have ever thought was “organic” sounding before. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there is something about the mood of Interoceans that is wholly unique and a real pleasure to get lost in. Schlarb and Steck have obviously developed a pretty fluid musical chemistry because Interoceans feels note perfect despite its improvisational aesthetics. For those unaccustomed to the more open ended side of composition Interoceans will require some perseverance, but it will undoubtedly be time well spent.

-Mr. Thistle

I Heart Lung on Myspace

No comments: