Friday, May 8, 2009

Bat For Lashes - Two Suns

Bat For Lashes
Two Suns
(04.2009, Astralwerks)
RIFL: mystical magic, goji berries, spiritual crystals, or mythical beasts

Two Suns came out last month and I wasn't sure if I liked it. I have since given it many listens over and I have been won over, but not completely. I fell head over heals for Fur and Gold when it was first released, but then became slightly disenchanted after some time passed. It's just so theatrical that it's hard to repetitively digest. Well, Two Suns is even more theatrical, since Natasha Khan took inspiration from Beyonce and given herself an alter-ego named Pearl, supposedly a blonde hedonist - opposite from Khan's black haired "desert-born spiritual self." Pearl and Natasha battle it out schizophrenically on Two Suns trying to find some "Peace Of Mind." Khan enlists the help of Scott Walker and Yeasayer in this ethereal magic rock battle. The music remains moody, slightly tense and brooding, as does Khan's voice. I am at the point where I like Two Suns more with every listen, but I wonder how long it can last. All this ultra serious somberness can really get to a girl, ya know?

-Sassigrass

No comments: