Friday, January 1, 2010

30.

Joanna Newsom
The Milk-Eyed Mender
(Drag City, 2004)

A month or so ago I was riding in the car with two of my co-workers and my office manager and they, knowing that I spend most of my work day listening to my iPod, asked me to play them some of the music that I enjoyed most. Among the two or three songs I dared play them, Joanna Newsom was the must openly laughed at and criticized. “You really listen to this?” I don’t know if I will ever gain their respect back from the incident, yet, I wouldn’t change the experience. Yes, I do like Joanna Newsom and, you know what, I love The Milk-Eyed Mender. The lyrics are perfectly poetic, the harp work, from what I can gather and what has been told to me second-hand from an actual harpists, is amazing, and her voice is absolutely beautiful. I would take that voice over your Beyonces, Lady Gagas, Celine Dions, Fergies, Madonnas, or Maria Careys, etcetera. She has the best, most compelling voice I have ever heard.

-Thistle

1 comment:

raindro said...

Yeah, it's pretty hilarious that the average people who doesn't get Joanna really really doesn't like her. But then again, those of us who do really really like her. I agree with you about her voice.