Friday, January 1, 2010

31.

Sigur Ros
Agaetis Byrjun
(Smekkleysa/Bubble Core, 2000)

I drove out to see Sigur Ros play in Denver when I was in high school and they were in support of ( ). Somehow I corralled two of my friends who had never listened to the band to join me. The driving (and later sleeping in the car) weren’t the most enjoyable experiences I’ve had in my life, but the experience that night listening to Sigur Ros live was the most mind blowing musical experience that I think I have ever seen. Unparalleled. Sure, I rank other live shows I’ve been to right up there, but there was no denying the specific, unique quality of the experience of hearing Sigur Ros live for the first time. My two friends, with no background at all in the band or any similar type music couldn't deny the same feeling. Ageatis Byrjun, just like that night, gives me chills every time I listen to it.

-Thistle

No comments: