Thursday, June 10, 2010

Peeesseye & Talibam! - S/T

Peeesseye & Talibam!
Peeesseye & Talibam!
(2010, Invada/Smerladina-Rima)
RIYL = MoHa!, Ahleuchatistas, Zu

Talibam!, the wacky, jazzy, noisy rock duo, have never quite hit a bull’s-eye with me. I love ‘em, sure, but they’ve only managed second tier adoration from the past efforts that I’ve heard. And Peeesseye, well, I’ve never listened to them before, so I can’t really say anything about how this album represents them. However, what I can say is that the two of them together are absolutely positively supercalafragalisticexpialadocious! Oh bliss. I do love my noise rock splatter, those improvisational, manic drums, the geeetar, and Peeesseye and Talibam! bring this all together in spades of wonderful noise. I think what has really pulled it all together (from the position that I previously mentioned, one that is familiar solely with Talibam!) is the toning down of the overt wackiness (though it is still pleasantly, grinningly there) and the dynamic movements from the smirking-yet-groovingly rocking “You Tried (to Eat It),” to the near-heavenly clatter of “New Vitality in the Biomass,” to the straight out diabolical noise of “Everything for Everyone” (though it should be noted that the grating, metal-esque vocals that appear in the middle of this track are perhaps the most hilarious, even if they weren’t meant to be). And that’s not to count out the blazing, aerobic, deconstructive rock glory of “A Grey Mountain of Human Shit” or the all-out epic closer, “Year of the Moral Orgy.” The album is simply epic in its own right. Absolutely consistent from beginning to end, and we’re talking consistency in epicness. 2010 continues to deliver and Peeesseye and Talibam! is just another example of its wealth and diversity. Definitely one of the best albums of the year.

-Thistle

No comments: