Thursday, July 28, 2011

Black Pus - Primordial Pus






















 (Load Records, 2011)

It’s going to be hard when two gorillas, two larger-than-normal gorillas—enormous, bulky, gigantic gorillas—are smashing your head in from either side, ears turned inside out, processing the muted inner sloshings and crumblings of the beating, to distinguish between that sound and Primordial Pus.

Why I like it.

There’s almost no fault in Primordial Pus. There is no fault in Primordial Pus.

I’m in the twilight of my heavy music listening days (volume-wise, not harshness-wise), I just know it. And if you’ve been following the blog, you know it too. Music pickens 've been sparse. There doesn’t seem to be as much caliber 2011 noise keeping my ears busy, that and I’m getting ready to trek across the country with the whole famdamnly for graduate school. Even still, as newer music seems to be offering diminishing returns, Primordial Pus, from the first pitch, bombing down on my ears with reverbed bass, Chippendale’s signature clatter-clatter drumming (do I even need to mention Lightning Bolt?), and those distinctive, indistinguishable vocals, all seems well in the musical (non-musical) universe.

I really love Chippendale’s Black Pus project in all its variations, but I am also super happy that Primordial Pus falls back towards the ground perfected by All Aboard the Magic Pus: weirdo pop songs generously stuffed with noise (or vice versa).

This will stand as one of may favourite albums of the year; there is no doubt about that. In fact, it’s the first album I’ve listened to that feels vibrant and addictive enough to challenge Colin Stetson’s New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges for best of the year. (Both, amazingly, solo efforts mangled together, virtually, in real time.)

It’s in that category.

Black Pus - "Hole In The Ground"

Black Pus - "Favorite Blanket, Favorite Curse"

1 comment:

Human Shmuman said...

omfg.... upon listening to these tracks I've concluded that I'm too high for this.